- How did the expansionist impulse of the 1890s compare with such ideas and events in the 1840s?
- Was the Spanish-American War inevitable? Explain your answer.
- Was the Big Stick policy short-sighted in promoting America’s long-range interests in South America? Explain your answer.
- How did the Philippine insurrection expose the flaws in the “New Manifest Destiny” of the 1890s?
- Why was America’s neutrality in World War I an outdated foreign policy?
- Why was Woodrow Wilson unable to achieve “a peace without victory” at Versailles?
- How did the Progressive movement borrow most of its program from the Populists?
- How did the progressive reformers try to make government more responsive to the people’s interest?
- What strengths and weaknesses did the ideas of Booker T. Washington and W. E. B. DuBois have for dealing with the Jim Crow system?
- Why were the Progressives unable to make greater changes in American society from 1900 to 1914?
- How did the American value system change in the 1920s?
- How did Marcus Garvey address the needs of the “New Negro” in the 1920s?
- What factors changed the lives of women in the 1920s?
- How did the rise of the Ku Klux Klan reflect more than racial animosity in the 1920s?
- How were the passage of the Eighteenth Amendment and the Scopes Trial part of a larger societal struggle in the 1920s?
- How was President Hoover’s approach to ending the Depression both conservative and liberal?
- How did political extremists help shape the New Deal programs?
- Why did the Supreme Court oppose the New Deal from 1933 to 1936? What did Roosevelt do about it?
- How was 1937 the most difficult year of the Depression for President Roosevelt?
- How did the New Deal ignore the neediest people in the 1930s?
- How did Roosevelt’s New Deal fail to include African Americans and women in its program and yet gain their support?
- How was the New Deal both a success and a failure?
- Why was Roosevelt seen as a friend of isolationism in the 1930s?
- Why was the alliance among the United States, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union a fragile one?