- How did President Truman establish the cornerstones of American foreign policy for the next forty years?
- Evaluate containment in Europe and in Asia from 1947 to 1955. What were its successes and failures?
- How did the Korean conflict change the concept of containment?
- In what parts of the world was Eisenhower’s foreign policy most successful? The least successful?
- How did the United States policy toward Indochina/Vietnam from 1945 to 1960 set the stage for the quagmire of the 1960s?
- How did the Vietnam War destroy the presidency of Lyndon Johnson?
- How did Richard Nixon bring a fresh vision to America’s place in the world?
- Why were the American people willing to accept a more active, confrontational approach to world affairs in the 1980s?
- How did President Truman attempt to continue the philosophy of the New Deal after World War II?
- How did President Truman bring African Americans into the Democratic Party in the 1940s?
- How did President Eisenhower incorporate the New Deal into his “modern Republicanism”?
- Why did Americans support Joseph McCarthy’s anti-Communist crusade?
- What caused the tension between Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Kennedy brothers in the early 1960s?
- How did events and personalities challenge Martin Luther King’s leadership of the Civil Rights Movement after 1963?
- How did the Great Society make lasting changes in America? Where did it fail and why?
- How did political assassination alter the history of the 1960s?
- How did the rise of the New Left and the counterculture reflect generational differences in America in the 1960s?
- How did the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam War provide the impetus for a new feminist movement in the 1960s and 1970s?
- How well did the political label “liberal” fit the presidency of Richard Nixon? Explain.
- How did the domestic challenges faced by President Nixon drive his political agenda?
- Why didn’t President Nixon tell the truth about Watergate?
- Why didn’t President Nixon destroy the White House tapes?
- Why did Gerald Ford lose the election of 1976?
- How did President Carter fail the American people?
- Would President Carter have won the election of 1980 if the hostages had been freed in Iran? Why or why not?
- “Ronald Reagan was one of America’s greatest presidents.” Evaluate this statement.